Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 3: In

Day 3 of my photography class had us take a photo indoors without using flash. I had already taken a few inside (my grandma's barrette), but this time I understood a little more about what I was doing, especially with playing around with my ISO.  Since I chose Drew as my subject today (seeing as he IS the reason I'm learning any of this in the first place) I had to play around with combinations of ISO and shutter speed that gave enough light, but also didn't have my mobile little boy turn out like this:

1/30, f/4.5

Our theme was "In" so I photographed Drew in a basket and in his Sunday best. Although it kinda looks like his Sunday sleezy... I really should have buttoned that top button (that's what happens when Dad dresses Drew and Mommy's too busy to notice!)

I have to admit, when it comes to photos of my little guy it's a lot harder to pick only one or two!  These were just a few of my favorites, and I'm sure I picked them more for my subject matter than the quality of the photos. ISO on all of these is somewhere between 600 and 800 if I remember correctly (even on a different computer the ISO spot is blank!). All of these are also SOOC (straight out of the camera) and with no flash (I'd love to learn how to properly edit photos next... I'm at a point that I'd most likely fix them in the wrong direction!)

A little dark, but look at that smirk!
1/60. f/4


1/60, f/4

Look at those "catchlights"!
1/60, f/4.5

A new perspective!
1/100, f/4.5

Don't you just want to pick him up and hug him?
1/30, f/4.5

I used some tips Beth gave us which included opening the window as much as possible to let in natural light and situating myself between the window and Drew. This helped me to get those little gleaming glints of light in his eyes called "catchlights". They really do highlight those big beautiful peepers of his, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome catchlights! I like the second-last one best. And, yes, I do want to pick him up and hug him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty hard to get a poor photo of such a great subject! My fave is "new perspective" too, especially when you click on it/enlarge...so sweet. That camera class sounds like fun!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete