We had our last monthly ultrasound today! This was our last peek at Floodling before we get to meet him in person! It's kind of weird to think that this person growing inside of me that we've been "spying" on is so close to being here! I truly can't wait to meet him!
Things seem to be perfectly fine in there. Wait... you mean, I had no need to worry? Gee, what a concept! :P As usual, my worries yesterday were unfounded. They said Floodling is growing just fine. In fact he weighs approximately 7 lbs now! (Technically they estimated 6 lbs. 15 oz.). Of course, estimates can be very off (up to a pound in either direction) but my assumption is that if the measurements each month have been following a fairly steady path, as they have, that they're probably somewhat accurate.
I didn't get any pictures once again. His head is right down in my pelvis (where it should be) and turned towards my back (also as it should be!) making it hard to get a good view...unless you want a picture of his butt as my friend Stacey suggested. As I've said before, that's okay by me if it means no breech baby and no back labor! The technician did comment on the size of his head though, yikes! Unfortunately "Daddy" has quite a big noggin himself... in fitted baseball hats he wears next to the largest size you can get! But Mother Nature knows what she is doing and knows "Mommy" ain't a big gal so I'm trusting things will fit just fine.
Since I have no ultrasound pic, here's another fun pic!

Sounds like a perfectly sized baby.
ReplyDeleteAnd, just to reassure you, maternal size (i.e., petite, narrow-hipped) doesn't really make a huge difference to being able to deliver a big-noggin-ed baby. My sister-in-law has much larger hips than I, but ended up with a C-section to deliver her 6 lb baby. I (once upon a time anyway) was very tiny (120 lb full-term with my first) but still had no trouble with a vaginal birth, even with an 8 lb 6 oz, big-headed baby. It has more to do with the shape of the pelvis.
There are limits of course. Glad you're not having a 12-pounder. (I had a friend who did that, vaginally. OUCH!)
They say the incidence of Cephalopelvic Disproportion (the baby's head being too big) is a lot less common than it is actually diagnosed. A lot of times the ultrasound measurements are off (as I mentioned), and a lot of other times it could simply be solved by a different pushing position that opens the hips wider.
ReplyDeleteJason himself was practically a 10 pounder! But at this point they say the baby is putting on fat more than growing bone, so it's the "squishy" stuff that's getting big.